City Guide: Barcelona, Part 2

City Guide: Barcelona, Part 2

We conclude the end of the City Guide with sustainable eating.  Barcelona is filled with locally sourced, farm to table style, and organic restaurants.  

One of the more notable restaurants in Barcelona is Flax & Kale, located in the Raval neighborhood and close to MACBA.  Flax & Kale is a flexitarian style cuisine by Chef Teresa Carles. Flexitarian means that 80% of the meal is driven by vegetables with the other 20% are compromised of oily fish.  Admittedly, the first time I went into Flax & Kale was a complete mistake, as it was dinner time and my friend and I wanted to eat a more meatier option and thought that the trendy exterior and inviting upper terrace made this place a winner, till we received the menu and quickly realized that it was a vegetarian/pescaterian restaurant (flexitarian wasn't in my vocabulary till after).  We ordered 4 of the crunchy fish taco, a supertagliatelle, and a red panang curry.  The portion size for all items were generous to say the last and I didn't think about meat that much throughout the meal.

An restaurant gaining fame in Barcelona is Green Spot owned by En Compañía de Lobos.  Located in the Barceloneta neighborhood, you have the perfect mix of surf, sand, sea, and vegan/vegetarian options in a modern wood finished restaurant.  Some of crowd favorites from Green Spot are edamame with chili sauce, muhammara with pita, curry with black rice, and of course lime pie or vegan brownie.

While the first two are a bit on the pricier side of things, Vegetalia is a great vegetarian option.  With 3 locations around Barcelona: Born, Gothic, and Raval neighborhoods, the restaurant receives all its produce from their own vegetable garden which they cultivate and grow themselves in Barcelona.  They also have a food truck, which is where I was introduced to Vegetalia during a small festival by my neighborhood.  I ordered nachos, vegan brownies, and a shawarma (which I had to order two more after finishing the first one in less than 5 minutes).

Vegetables do not necessarily mean that is the only means or ways to eat sustainably.  There are movements within the gastronomic community called slow food.  Slow food refers to when chefs and restaurants use only locally available and seasonal produce, so not one menu is like the other from one week to another.  Enter Somorrostro, they have a great relationship with all of their purveyors, farmers, and fisherman that you will be sure to have a great experience.

We are definitely not suggesting that you do a 100% sustainable vacation but hope that what we've shared would be something you would consider to try atleast once or that you would venture off the beaten path for just a minute or two.